Thanksgiving in Tennessee

My friend Laurie asked me if I would help do her a favor.
One of our co-workers was selling his truck and her friend who lives in Memphis Tennessee was interested in buying it for his teenage son as a first vehicle.
She asked if I could drive her car and she would drive the truck to meet her friend, and then we would continue on to Manchester Tennessee to spend Thanksgiving with her family.
We immediately ran into a snag before we even left because the battery to the truck was dead.
After a few trips to Auto Zone we were finally on the road.
I had such a wonderful time!
Family friend Meg took me out exploring one day to a water fall and a State Park while Laurie went shopping with her sister.
Laurie's Mom, Althea, has been making Christmas cookies to give out to her neighbors for over 50 years! One morning I was honored to help Mrs. Cimino  put together cookie plates and then we walked through the neighborhood to deliver them.
Alfonso and Althea met during the Korean War, he was a pilot and her a nurse. After the war he became and aerospace engineer. He designed their home so it has some great mid-century space age details. It reminded me of the early 1960's Barbie dream house.
Thanksgiving Day we went down the street to her Sister Jill's home for a wonderful dinner.
I love a family tradition they have. 
Someone picks a quote, poem, or prayer. They print out a verse or sentence on a sheet of paper, roll them up and tie with a pretty piece of ribbon, each person gets one and take turns going around the table reading your part. 
Mrs. Cimino's mother also passed away when she was 17. We can relate to each and I really enjoyed spending time with her getting to know her better. 
I also got to meet several of Laurie's nieces and their families too. 
Her sister Jill loves antiques as much as I do! I really enjoyed visiting her home and she also cooked our wonderful Thanksgiving meal. 

























Comments

Popular Posts